[Kaufberatung] Supermicro low power build

impovich

Neuling
Hello, dear community!

I'm seeking advice for my current or upcoming NAS build, given the soaring electricity prices in Europe. I've listed my current setup and potential changes below:

Current Build:
  • Chassis: 846BE1C-R1K23B
  • MOBO: X12SPL-F
  • CPU: Xeon Silver 4310
  • RAM: 16x4
  • LSI 9300-8i
  • PNY Quadro T400
  • HDD: 2 x MIRROR 3.64 TiB
  • HDD: 1x2TB
  • SSD: 1 x MIRROR 223.57 GiB
The current system consumes approximately 145W from the wall

Considering Changes:
  • X12SDV-4C-SP6F or
  • X12STH-F with E-2314 or
  • X13SAZ-F with i5-13500
Question: Will either of these proposed changes help lower power consumption? Which motherboard would you choose from the list and why?

Danke schön

A few important questions at first :

1) What are your exact needs by specification book (Pflichtenheft) ?
2) What are your possabilities and limits (financial ond otherwise) ?
3) Would perhaps a small photovoltaic balcony power plant (400-800 watt) be an option for you ? (an approx. €500+ investment in non-PC hardware that would lower your electricity bill for the next 15-20 years.)

A few important questions at first :

1) What are your exact needs by specification book (Pflichtenheft) ?
2) What are your possabilities and limits (financial ond otherwise) ?
3) Would perhaps a small photovoltaic balcony power plant (400-800 watt) be an option for you ? (an approx. €500+ investment in non-PC hardware that would lower your electricity bill for the next 15-20 years.)
  1. This is a simple Truenas Scale. The main usage is for Plex and file storage.
  2. An interesting question; I suppose there are almost no limits.
  3. I already have photovoltaic panels generating 5KW/h.
I'm quite an enthusiast and learn from my own (sometimes silly) mistakes. However, since the server game can be quite expensive, I just want to double-check my considerations with other people. This forum looks like the best place on earth to do this :)

I am a TrueNAS user, but not a Plex-user.
My TrueNAS box uses around 130W idle, going down to ~105W when idling for >10-15 minutes, and up to 210W under load (Xeon E1245 with 10x 18TB HDD raidz2 plus 1 HDD, 1x 10GBit SFP+)

My thought would be the "X13SAZ-F with i5-13500", because it's a newer CPU generation and its iGPU might just be good enough for your Plex-workload and therefore perhaps eliminate the need for the T400 gfx-card (30W ?), plus the 2x 2.5GBase-T is decent for a simple NAS.
Any chances for reducing your numbers of low capacity HDDs /mirrors ? E.g. 1x ssd boot drive (OS), 2 HDD (higher capacity) as main storage (raid1), 1x transfer HDD .... that would eliminate the need for the HBA (approx. 8W).
(my personal favorite would be 1x sata-ssd (e.g. 256 GB bootdrive) because it needs less power then NVMe and TrueNAS doesn't write that much, HBA LSI 9500-8i, 2x U.3 mixed use SSD-drives (raid1) as main storage ... but that setup would not save any power ... just be an enthusiastic approach to speedy, I/O rich, file server :rolleyes2: )

(deleted: RAM .... not worth the work ... trying to save power elsewhere, like power management leads to much better savings)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Thank you for your reply; you made a good point regarding the iGPU, which I hadn't thought about. I guess I need to rebuild the system completely. For example:

CHASSIS: 825TQC-600LPB
MB: X13SAZ-F
CPU: i5-13500
RAM: 2x32GB

Migrate 2 x MIRROR 3.64 TiB (4 disks in 2 vdevs) and 1x2TB to a new mirror using 2x WD80EFZZ.
1 x MIRROR 223.57 GiB will remain as it is.

This will allow me to get rid of the HBA, T400, and 3 HDDs.

The nice thing is that I can approach these changes iteratively and observe the difference:
  1. Reduce the number of disks.
  2. Upgrade the motherboard and CPU
  3. ...

Hardwareluxx setzt keine externen Werbe- und Tracking-Cookies ein. Auf unserer Webseite finden Sie nur noch Cookies nach berechtigtem Interesse (Art. 6 Abs. 1 Satz 1 lit. f DSGVO) oder eigene funktionelle Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Webseite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir diese Cookies setzen. Mehr Informationen und Möglichkeiten zur Einstellung unserer Cookies finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.

Zurück
Oben Unten refresh