[Sammelthread] AMD K7 - Sockel A (462)

Mit den Ballistix läuft es schon mal entspannter.
CPU Interface On.
XP-M 2400 SuperPi 32M 2,7V Crucial Ballistix 1.JPG

Wenn Du diese Anzeige nicht sehen willst, registriere Dich und/oder logge Dich ein.
Aha, das sieht doch schon mal besser aus. Dann sind deine TCCD schlicht nicht für den NF2 geeignet. So Riegel hatte ich auch hier, die wollten nicht >240Mhz auf dem NF2 laufen, machen auf A64 aber locker 300Mhz mit... Bei mir waren das Corsair 3200XL v1.2. Die einzigen TCCD die ich bisher zu 250Mhz auf NF2 überreden konnte sind meine Geil Ultra-X.

Wenn du die Ballistix drin lassen willst, dann würde ich als nächstes Tras auf 9 anheben und Trp/Trcd auf 3 senken (3-3-3-9). Wenn das geht, dann entweder Timings weiter runter (2.5-2-2-9 wären das Ziel) oder Takt weiter rauf.

Ultra-X TCCD hab ich auch noch.
Ich werd mit den ballistix erstmal weiter testen.
Ein paar andere Corsair Pro werd ich aber auch noch testen.
Zwischen den 20 riegeln muss ja was dabei sein.

Ich teste die gleichen settings jetzt erstmal mit Corsair Pro V5.3.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
@maxpower1984
Sieht für den Anfang nicht schlecht aus! Ich denke, da geht aber noch mehr. Brauchbare Ballistix sollten 240MHz / 2,5-3-3-8 locker packen.
Ansonsten die TCCD Kits durch rotieren. Vielleicht eins aus 2005?

Ich bin fürs erste von den Tracern weg, nicht weil sie nicht können, eher weil das mein einziges kit ist und da musste ich aus 4 schon 2 machen.
Daher bin ich erstmal wieder auf Corsair zurück und schaue da erstmal was ich machen kann.
Wenn da ein kit stirbt ist es nicht so schlimm.

Die XLPro (5 riegel) sind alle 04er.

Kann ich nachvollziehen. Meine Ballistix traue ich mich auch nicht zu verbauen. Ich würde die TCCD Riegel mal durchtesten. Da ist bestimmt ein Kit bei, dass sich auf das NF7 freut.

Greetings from Portugal

I'm been following the post without registration and decided to post my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.
Also, I'm not a hardcore overclocker, it is jsut a hobby and this motherboard is from one of my retro projects.

I noticed that the 223+ Mhz FSB barrier is hard to pass in the Nforce2 and I saw that it is possible more with mods.

Motherboard: A7N8X-E Deluxe V1.01
1688172148475.png

Northbridge: 2004/28 A1
1688172032947.png

Southbridge: 2003/41 A4
1688172103466.png

This is my best Athlon XP right now, a Barton 2600+ (333) IQYHA.
1688172697886.png

FSB: 220 MHz, VCore: 1.8 V - RAM: 3-4-4-8 (For testing).
1688172773790.png

Note: for some reason the newer CPU-Z versions hardlock Windows XP with Athlon XPs...

Greetings and Welcome! :)
I noticed that the 223+ Mhz FSB barrier is hard to pass in the Nforce2 and I saw that it is possible more with mods.
Yes. Possibly roadblocks in your setup:
1. your cpu is multiplier locked, so when raising fsb your cpu will also clock higher
2. Is a modbios with soft L12 mod installed? If not, then this might stop you from going higher.
3. The default chipset voltage is very low on A7N8X. If the above isn't stopping you, this will at around 225Mhz.

And last but not least, your cpu does already need 1.8V for 2.5ghz. Maybe it just stops scaling and hits a wall. Usually the scaling above 1.8V is very bad, you gain ~100-150Mhz when going from 1.8V to 1.95V or even less. I got cpus which pass 2500 at 1.8V and won't pass 2550 at 1.95V...
Note: for some reason the newer CPU-Z versions hardlock Windows XP with Athlon XPs...
Yes, this is known, new versions crash at 15% while loading. Try either the Vintage version or CPU-Z v1.59 or below. Or reinstall your XP, CPU-Z >v1.59 will then work again for some time... My bench XP can start v2.x flawlessly on XP and Athlon XP.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Greetings from Portugal

I'm been following the post without registration and decided to post my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.
Greetings and Welcome to this forum!
A nice board, that you have. I like the A7N8X-E Boards. So, thanks for sharing!

Keep in mind, that the default BIOSes might stop you from increasing the FSB value somewhere at 220MHz. For higher FSB clocks a mod BIOS is important. In your case the CPU is probably almost at its limit. Like Tzk wrote.

Greetings and Welcome! :)

Yes. Possibly roadblocks in your setup:
1. your cpu is multiplier locked, so when raising fsb your cpu will also clock higher
2. Is a modbios with soft L12 mod installed? If not, then this might stop you from going higher.
3. The default chipset voltage is very low on A7N8X. If the above isn't stopping you, this will at around 225Mhz.

And last but not least, your cpu does already need 1.8V for 2.5ghz. Maybe it just stops scaling and hits a wall. Usually the scaling above 1.8V is very bad, you gain ~100-150Mhz when going from 1.8V to 1.95V or even less. I got cpus which pass 2500 at 1.8V and won't pass 2550 at 1.95V...

Yes, this is known, new versions crash at 15% while loading. Try either the Vintage version or CPU-Z v1.59 or below. Or reinstall your XP, CPU-Z >v1.59 will then work again for some time... My bench XP can start v2.x flawlessly on XP and Athlon XP.
Yes, unfortunately is a locked CPU still it gives a reasonable overclock for retro gaming project.

I haven't done any mods to motherboard, except the using the Uber bios (1013), but I have plans to mod this motherboard after I received a 2nd A7N8X-E as backup.
I need to try to raise the VChipset and see what happens.
Also, I'm using watercooling, because the temperature

Greetings and Welcome to this forum!
A nice board, that you have. I like the A7N8X-E Boards. So, thanks for sharing!

Keep in mind, that the default BIOSes might stop you from increasing the FSB value somewhere at 220MHz. For higher FSB clocks a mod BIOS is important. In your case the CPU is probably almost at its limit. Like Tzk wrote.
Thanks!
I haven't been looking online for a solution, but it seems it is a common problem... I will use the Vintage Edition and Everest Ultimate.

Everytime I see a cheap Barton, I try to buy to binning it! 😂 Last two I bought were two Semprom 3000+, but they are really hardlocked...

except the using the Uber bios (1013),
Uber bios is the most basic bios one can use on Asus. If you prefer "old" mods from back in the day and you want to keep the fsb at or below 235MHz, then i'd go with Trats. It's quite fast per clock, has the L12 mod included (so you won't run into fsb issues with low stock fsb cpus (133/166)) and he even updated the SATA rom to 4.2.50. Usually this is enough for a bit of retro gaming. Link to Trats mods: https://biosbude.de/! BIOS VAULT/Asus/A7N8X-E Deluxe/Trats/

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, then the mods made by @digitalbath are the right choice. You get completely new bios options (yes, we modded them into the bios), even newer sata rom (4.4.01) and romsips which are good for 250Mhz+ FSB, when the board is modded and the chipset has a decent silicon quality. I'd try either the ED55_A6 - it's a bit older. Or his newest 619XT_B3X. Link where many of his mods are uploaded: https://biosbude.de/! BIOS VAULT/Asus/A7N8X-E Deluxe/digitalbath/

EDIT:
Almost forgot. Even if some modded bios got the "chipset voltage" option, be aware that this option doesn't work at all. Asus simply didn't include this option in hardware, so it's useless.

Everytime I see a cheap Barton, I try to buy to binning it! 😂 Last two I bought were two Semprom 3000+, but they are really hardlocked...
If you're looking for "open" cpus, then buy some older ones:

Before week 30 almost all Tbred B and Barton cpus should be unlocked.
From week 30 to 40 some are locked and some aren't.
After week 40 almost all cpus are locked, except mobiles (XP-m) and Geode.

The bad news is, around week 45-47 AMD introduced some silicon optimizaton, that's why these cpus clock significantly better. So if you want a multi-unlocked and high clocking cpu, then you're stuck with mobile Bartons. And especially these that got the IQYHA and IDYHA stepping are hard to get and expensive.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Uber bios is the most basic bios one can use on Asus. If you prefer "old" mods from back in the day and you want to keep the fsb at or below 235MHz, then i'd go with Trats. It's quite fast per clock, has the L12 mod included (so you won't run into fsb issues with low stock fsb cpus (133/166)) and he even updated the SATA rom to 4.2.50. Usually this is enough for a bit of retro gaming. Link to Trats mods: https://biosbude.de/! BIOS VAULT/Asus/A7N8X-E Deluxe/Trats/

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, then the mods made by @digitalbath are the right choice. You get completely new bios options (yes, we modded them into the bios), even newer sata rom (4.4.01) and romsips which are good for 250Mhz+ FSB, when the board is modded and the chipset has a decent silicon quality. I'd try either the ED55_A6 - it's a bit older. Or his newest 619XT_B3X. Link where many of his mods are uploaded: https://biosbude.de/! BIOS VAULT/Asus/A7N8X-E Deluxe/digitalbath/

EDIT:
Almost forgot. Even if some modded bios got the "chipset voltage" option, be aware that this option doesn't work at all. Asus simply didn't include this option in hardware, so it's useless.

If you're looking for "open" cpus, then buy some older ones:

Before week 30 almost all Tbred B and Barton cpus should be unlocked.
From week 30 to 40 some are locked and some aren't.
After week 40 almost all cpus are locked, except mobiles (XP-m) and Geode.

The bad news is, around week 45-47 AMD introduced some silicon optimizaton, that's why these cpus clock significantly better. So if you want a multi-unlocked and high clocking cpu, then you're stuck with mobile Bartons. And especially these that got the IQYHA and IDYHA stepping are hard to get and expensive.
I will have a look on the Trats Bioses for "normal"! (y)
Also, I have plans to use one of A7N8X-E to hardware mod to use cold water cooling to try squeeze more performance.

I have a few unlocked Athlon XP, including a early 3200+ E and a Mobile 2400+(and some T-Bred).

In the future I will post updates!

Thank you very much for the help.

@auto660 so you want to replicate this adapter as I understand?
One thing to remind is that KT133 boards don't support A-XP so maybe this difference is what is preventing you from booting. Another thing is that Thunderbird CPUs were late and not all boards and BIOS versions might support them. So it's best to check TB support for Slot A and use TB socket A CPU. And even then they have different steppings AFAIR.
Just found this thread, looks very nice.

socketa_slota.jpg

One thing to remind is that KT133 boards don't support A-XP so maybe this difference is what is preventing you from booting.
Yes. I believe the push/pull and open drain config is what's holding him back. Either newer Athlon XP won't run with open drain or the old boards don't support push/pull. Either way this is probably the issue why they never released slotkets for slot A/socket 462.

Another interesting info about them:
"We believe that it will give a solution for Irongate Boardbesitzer with high probability. Unfortunately we can deliver still no similar prognosis for KX133."
So it might be the same issue as with KT133. So it's better to try with 751 and with TB CPUs.

Slot A to Socket A adapter were never released to the public due to problems with certain VIA based mainboards. At the time AMD changed it's processors back to a socketed version this adapter was made available to mainboard manufacturers to test current board designs to comply with the new CPU. During these tests problems were identified that lead to the point of not releasing the adapter to the public. Only tested OEM systems (containing preassembled mainboard, adapter and Socket A CPU) were sold. So you might find one of these rare systems containing Slot A adapters.

The converter was only available for system integrators during migration phase of AMD processors.These were only intended for testing purposes during transition time. That's why you won't find boards with dual socket configurations as you do for intel Slot 1 / Socket 370.

Possible solution:
OEM only & system integrators only versions of AMD K7 CPUs exist that come in Slot A format but have internally a LIF (low insertion force) Socket A carrying a Socket A CPU. This is a K7 Thunderbird in a Slot A package. So you might find one of these rare systems containing Slot A adapters.

During transition time AMD itself sold several Socket A CPU's packaged in Slot A (Thunderbird core / model 4). If you can get hold of one of these you've got what you want.
These processors can be identified by their CPU ID: 6-4-1 and 6-4-2
On top of the Slot case should be printed: "AMD-A650MTR51B C" and NOT "AMD-K7650MTR51B C"

One thing to remind is that KT133 boards don't support A-XP so maybe this difference is what is preventing you from booting.
This is where apperom's BIOS patcher helps. :) My KT133 works without problems with my Barton CPUs. The MSR register for changing Multi doesn't work though. The MSR support started with the KT133A chipset.

As far as I understand, we need an external device that streams the SIP protocol during the start to be able to set the Socket A CPU to the push-pull mode. Simmilar that Gigabyte did with their AMD751 board for SocketA. The AMD751 chipset uses only the open drain mode and the Socket A CPUs aren't able to work with the open drain mode.
I am unsure how the situation is for the KX133 chipset.

Was gibt es eigentlich an NF2 U400 Boards?
Ein paar hab ich schon zusammen, aber es fehlt sicher noch was. Hier könnt ihr mir auf die Sprünge helfen, damit die Liste vollständiger wird ;) Mein Wissensstand schaut (unsortiert) aktuell so aus:

Hersteller
BoardPCB FarbeSlot Farbe(n)
AlbatronKX18D Problauweiß/grün
AsRockK7NF2-RAIDblauweiß/blau
GigabyteGA-7NNXP und GA-7N400Sblau"gigabunt"
MERCURYKNU400X-Lblauweiß/rot
QDIK7N2Sblauweiß
ShuttleAN35-N Ultrablauweiß/blau
AsusA7N8X-E Deluxebraun/bronzeweiß/blau
Leadtek WinfastK7NCR18D PRObraun/bronzeweiß/lila
ShuttleSN45GV2 / 3braun/bronzeweiß/blau
Soltek75FRN2goldgelb
Epox8RDA3 / 8RDA6grünweiß/lila
NvidiaReferenz Boardgrünweiß
ECSN2U400-Alilaweiß/blau
AbitNF7 v2.0 / AN7rot-orangeweiß
BiostarM7NCD Prorotweiß/blau
DFIInfinityrotweiß/blau
MSIK7N2 Delta-Lrotweiß/lila
AopenAK79Dschwarzweiß
ChaintechZenith 7NJSschwarzgelb
DFILanparty Ultra BschwarzUV grün
Leadtek WinfastK7NCR18D Pro2 Deluxe Limited Editionschwarzbunt
MSIMSI K7N2 Delta2 LSR/FSR/Platinumschwarzbunt

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Shuttle XPC SN45GV2/3 8-) (Board-Name: Shuttle FN45, braun/bronze PCB, blaue Slots)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • Danke
Reaktionen: Tzk
Da hast du vollkommen recht. Das sn45 müsste gleichzeitig auch das einzige “kleine” NF2 U400 Board sein. Mir ist jedenfalls kein mATX oder gar ITX Board mit dem Ultra 400 bekannt. Biostar hat mATX im Programm, aber nur mit IGP und damit der alten NB mit Metalldeckel.

DFI hat unterhalb des Infinity auch noch Bronze/braune Budgetboards mit gleichem Layout.

Davon abgesehen habe ich oben nicht jedes Board in jeder Variante gelistet, sondern mich auf die Hersteller und PCB Farben beschränkt. sonst werden wir nicht mehr fertig…

MSI K7N2 Delta2 LSR/FSR/Platinum

Delta2_LSR.jpg

Das Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18D Pro2 Deluxe Limited Edition in schwarz/bunt fällt mir noch ein.

Danke. Ich hab die Boards oben mal ergänzt und nach PCB Farbe sortiert. Aktuell habe ich damit 8 PCB Farben in der Liste:

blau
braun/bronze
gold
grün
lila
rot-orange (Abit)
rot
schwarz

Geht ja noch... Alle NF2 Boards sammeln zu wollen ist jedenfalls erstens richtig teuer und zweitens muss man erstmal alle Boards ran bekommen... Da sind schon ein paar sehr seltene dabei. Also lieber PCB Farben sammeln, das ist eher realistisch :d

schwarz, rot, rot-orange, lila, braun/bronze hab ich bereits. Fehlen blau, grün und gold ( :rolleyes: ).

Ich hab mal wieder da ne Frage:

Hat einer von euch mal versucht Asus A7N8X mit Cross Flash zu betreiben?

Was ich erfolgreich probiert habe:
1. V2.0 Deluxe bios mit 512kb Chip auf -X
2. V2.0 deluxe bios mit 512kb Can hip auf 4MBO

Kann man das -E Deluxe bios auf den normalen v2.0 brettern nutzen?

Hardwareluxx setzt keine externen Werbe- und Tracking-Cookies ein. Auf unserer Webseite finden Sie nur noch Cookies nach berechtigtem Interesse (Art. 6 Abs. 1 Satz 1 lit. f DSGVO) oder eigene funktionelle Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Webseite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir diese Cookies setzen. Mehr Informationen und Möglichkeiten zur Einstellung unserer Cookies finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.

Zurück
Oben Unten refresh