Quad-Core System unter 20W Idle? Das Motherboard ist entscheidend Part 2

Thanks mibo. ECC on consumer boards such as biostar are SECDED and I expect that single bit error get corrected transparently, while uncorrectable (ie multiple bit) raises an immediate kernel halt, whatever the OS.

ECC logging is a nice functionality which allows to detect a failing/weak RAM module and take preventive action before a hard error occurs which halt the system, but it is not strictly mandatory.

Regarding server vs consumer grade boards, on AMD64 the support should be the same independently of the chipset, once ECC operation has been configured (normally by the bios). Logging may require chipset-dependant software support (I'm not sure), but at least standard ECC operation should be supported in any case (transparent correction of single bit error and raised interrupt on uncorrectable error leading to a kernel halt)

I plan to use OpenSolaris or FreeBSD, still not decided.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Wenn Du diese Anzeige nicht sehen willst, registriere Dich und/oder logge Dich ein.
Thanks mibo. ECC on consumer boards such as biostar are SECDED and I expect that single bit error get corrected transparently, while uncorrectable (ie multiple bit) raises an immediate kernel halt, whatever the OS.
I'm still not sure if I trust BIOSTAR, ASUS on their BIOS implementation ;-)
A software that writes meaningful messages to a log file would make me trust. Maybe I should force some ECC errors by covering pins of the memory module with tape.

I'm still not sure if I trust BIOSTAR, ASUS on their BIOS implementation ;-)
A software that writes meaningful messages to a log file would make me trust. Maybe I should force some ECC errors by covering pins of the memory module with tape.

The code which setup ECC mode is simple and belong to the Bios/setup. AMI, Phoenix and Award all provide generic bios which can enable ECC. Motherboard integrator such as Biostar and Asus should only take care of keeping the relevant Bios sections when they customize it. Yet this trivial task appears to be still too challenging for some (MSI for instance). You are right to be suspicious of actual support considering how broken some bios are; the menu could be there, without any corresponding actual code! But at least Asus and Biostar seem to have ecc correctly enabled on some of their boards, as the OS can see ecc as active.

For forcing memory errors, someone successfully did it with a tungsten light, as you can see here: OpenSolaris Forums : [zfs-discuss] Motherboard for home ...

Regards

Regarding power consumption, has someone compared the Biostar TA785G to the TA790GX (A2+ or A3+) ?

I found strange the results on this review: iXBT Labs - AMD 785G Motherboard Roundup - Page 2: Performance, power consumption, o/c

at idle, the Biostar TA785GE performs average at 20w while the MSI is given for 10w. And using an external video card, the Biostar become almost the worst at 83w, even the asus are better.

Do you think these results can be trusted ? I find strange to see such a tremendous difference between the Biostar TA790GX (very close to the MSI 785 E65) and the Biostar TA785GE...

(Che new, I don't know these other users and haven't talked to them, really!)

I'm basically sitting in the same boat as HikaFr. ECC, ZFS, FreeBSD, thinking Germans are the only ones to really care about energy, English, .. However, I'm just a step in front in terms of motherboards. :)
I own a Biostar TA790GX A3+ and a Biostar TA760 A2+, both support ECC. Concerning energy efficiency (especially the socket and memory part) I'm not all too sure to state DDR2 is more efficient. Che new did test it, but we don't know what exactly happens if you swap DDR3 with DDR2. Possibly the voltage and speed of some aspects on the board change a little. I'm especially hesitant to claim DDR2 is more efficient because of the decreased voltage of DDR3. Some months ago (maybe year by now :d) I had a close look at 785G motherboards with an AM2+ socket and was actually quite disappointed. But I had the opposite feeling you've got, I expected 785G AM3 to be more efficient, both because of the platform itself (with it's processor, memory, ..) and the fact manufacturers improved the boards (with fancy terms as DrMos).
I asked che new about a 785G (AM3) of Biostar and ECC on the TA890GXE and was promised to receive an answer somewhere today :) For the moment my cards are on the 785G in terms of efficiency, but I think the 890 remains close enough in absolute bare minimum power consumption to be a winner to me in the end (because of the fact the 890 sports some improvements in terms of storage performance, not spectacular, but if you've got the choice..).
About the Abit AN-M2HD, are you sure? The manufacturer doesn't list ECC support at all. (Whereas Biostar lists ECC and non-ECC but denies support when you ask :d.) If you've got some proof for that I'll give it a shot because....I've got that board too :fresse:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Tokana, many thanks for the feedback...

About the Abit AN M2HD, I explored its bios image with a bios editor and all the ECC options are here. But I have not tested myself.

For the TA790 vs TA890, from biostar spec there is 5xSATA+1xPAPA on the 890 and 6xSATA+1xPATA on the 790. The features seem so close on both, I think I would favor the slightly lower power consumption of the 790...

Well, the 890 has the better Southbridge which could be good news in a desktop setting, but it's not that much better. Have a look at this review for example: AMD's 890GX Chipset - Same Graphics, Better South Bridge - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News Concerning the SATA ports, both have six, but the 890 has one eSATA port. Next the 890 has the better i/o with a s/pdif too. Finally the physical size: ATX vs. uATX. I know most of this isn't interesting in a server environment, but I'm considering to take the 890 as a desktop.
(Have a look at your messagebox in ten minutes concerning the AN-M2HD)

unter 20W, ist das erotisch :d
Ich hoffe, du machst solche Tests auch irgendwann mal mit den neuen Clarkdales von Intel. 32nm und integrierte GPU. Das müsste doch dann das sparsamste System überhaupt sein?!

das sparsamste überhaupt wird ein amd system mit integrierter cpu

Aber mann muB dafür fast ein Jahr warten. Heute hat AMD ein Fusion-apu (=CPU+GPU in ein Chip) demonstriert auf Computex.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
na und ist es jetzt richtig oder wäre eine andere Option sinnvoller ?

Ansich ist die Kombination ja nicht schlecht, aber warum ein 160W Pico und nur ein 80W Tischnetzteil das das Pico versorgt ? Jenachdem wieviele Festplatten oder sonstige Hardware du noch verwenden willst, kann das unter umständen eng werden mit den 80W.

welches würdest du denn empfehlen ?
Momentan ist geplant
1x MSI H57
1x i3
1x WD scorpio blue 500
und ein Datengrab da weiss noch nicht welche Platte soll aber mindestens 1gb haben
eventuell eine S2 TV Karte

ach das hat bei mir nichts zu heissen, ich kaufe mir öfters mal Optionen ein, ob ich die irgendwann mal nutze steht auf einem anderen Blatt. Aber ehrlich gesagt, empfinde ich ein Raid für einen Stormsparrechner nicht als besonders erstrebenswert.

Ich habe das Board wegen dem Firewireanschluss gekauft. Mit den Floppydtv Karten habe ich gute Erfahrungen gemacht. Es soll Mediaportal und der TVserver installiert werden.

Kennt jemand andere gute stormsparende TV Karten ? Von Satix habe ich schon positives gehört.

@dr.Cupido welches effiziente Tischnetzteil in den Regionen 100w und mehr würdest du denn empfehlen ?

Hallo

Ich bin dabei meinen PC in eine Gaming-Maschine und ein Office PC aufzusplitten. Und da brauche ein neues, günstiges und vor allem sparsames AM2 oder AM2+ Board (drauf soll eine X2 4850e laufen). Wollte euch Fragen, ob ihr mir da was vorschlagen könnt? Ich brauche keine große Ausstattung, also auf Firewire und eSata kann ich locker verzichten, was es aber auf jedem Fall haben muss, ich ein DVI-Ausgang.

Gibt es da Kandidaten die günstig und sparsam sind? Es können ruhig Modelle vorgeschlagen werden, die man nur noch bei eBay gebraucht kaufen kann.

Grüße, Big ^^

Edit: Habe fast vergessen, es muss ein µATX Board sein!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
@BigNapoleon
Als nagelneues Board würde ich das ASRock A785GMH/128M nehmen. Hat VGA, DVI und HDMI. Der 785G gehört generell zu den sparsamsten AMD Chips und mit der HD4200 IGP ist man auf der sicheren Seite, wenn man z.B. auch 1080P wiedergeben möchte.

@goofy84
Ich habe mir ein Set aus picoPSU-150-XT und 120 Watt Netzteil über ebay für kanpp 70 EUR gekauft. Das halte ich für die sinnvollere Kombination.
Bei einem i3 mit mehreren HDDs und TV-Karte sind 80 Watt unter Vollast meiner Meinung nach grenzwertig.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
@goofy84 Hol dir lieber ein stärkeres NT als das 80W Ding. Ich hab zwar aus meinem auch über 100W rausgesaugt, aber da werden die Teile richtig heiss 50°+ . In unserer Firma werden Tischnetzteile der Firma Leicke verwendet. Die haben gleich mehrere Vorteile:
- die Spannung unter Last bricht nicht so schnell ein
- sie werden nicht so warm wie andere Netzteile bei gleichem Verbrauch
- sie halten eine höhere Dauerlast aus

Ich hab mir für meinen X6 ein 120W NT geholt. Gibts hier z.B.

@BigNapoleon
Wie AyGee schon sagt, die 785G Boards von Asrock, Biostar und MSI eignen sich sehr gut dafür.

@ Dr.Cupido
konntest du dein Leicke Netzteil schon mit einem anderem Netzteil in direktem Vergleich vermessen?

Die c't hat das Serverboard S3420GPLC mitsamt Xeon X3450 vermessen und kommt auf 32 Watt im Idle. Allerdings wäre das auch mit Desktop Komponenten möglich bei vergleichbarer Grafik.

Welche Tools nutzt ihr zum undervolten?

Hab hier gerade nen Asus M4A88TD-M Evo + Athlon XII 240 ... wollte mal gucken was man da rauskriegt ... bin derzeit bei ~30w idle

Asus M4A88TD-M Evo
Athlon XII 240
2x 2GB Mushkin
2,5" Intel SSD
Silverstone 330W 80+ (das normale, nicht das Bronze)

Hi Leute,

gehört vielleicht nicht ganz hier rein, aber hier tummeln sich doch einige Sparexperten.

Ich plane ein sparsames System mit AMD X3 445 (Spannung gesenkt), 4GB G.Skill Eco RAM, Postville SSD, 2TB Caviar Green und AM3 Mainboard. Grafikkarte wollte ich warten bis die 5850 billiger wird. Ist net eilig. Meine bisherigen Kandidaten:

ASRock 890GM Pro3, 890GX (dual PC3-10667U DDR3) Preisvergleich bei Geizhals.at Deutschland
Biostar TA890GXE, 890GX (dual PC3-10667U DDR3) Preisvergleich bei Geizhals.at Deutschland
MSI 880GMA-E45, 880G (dual PC3-10667U DDR3) (7623-020R) Preisvergleich bei Geizhals.at Deutschland
MSI 890GXM-G65, 890GX (dual PC3-10667U DDR3) (7642-010R) Preisvergleich bei Geizhals.at Deutschland

Wichtig ist mir vor allem der Verbrauch. Der RAM sollte auch wirklich mit 1,35 V laufen. USB 3 wäre schön, muss aber nicht sein. Grafik sollte für Starcraft 2 einigermaßen reichen.

Danke schonmal :wink:

Hardwareluxx setzt keine externen Werbe- und Tracking-Cookies ein. Auf unserer Webseite finden Sie nur noch Cookies nach berechtigtem Interesse (Art. 6 Abs. 1 Satz 1 lit. f DSGVO) oder eigene funktionelle Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Webseite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir diese Cookies setzen. Mehr Informationen und Möglichkeiten zur Einstellung unserer Cookies finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.

Zurück
Oben Unten refresh